Table of contents:
- What’s In The Box
- LED Lighting
- Mounting the Chassis
- Water Reservoir and Pump
- WiFi Connection
- The Canopy Mate App
Don't place nutrients directly into the water reservoir. This will corrode your water pump. Only use Canopy Mate approved peripherals with the controller.
What’s In The Box?
Each Canopy Mate includes:
- Black acrylic chassis with:
- Carbon air filter
- Power supply
- Automated controller
- Ventilation fan
- Full-spectrum 65 watt LED light
- Hanging ratchet strap
- Mylar enclosure
- Water pump
- Water reservoir
- Water line and dripper
- Barrel jack power cord (male to male)
- Cloth smart pot
After ensuring that you have all the necessary components, you will begin by assembling the Canopy Mate enclosure.
- 10x short metal pieces marked A
- 4x long metal pieces marked B
- 4x long metal pieces marked C
- 8x black plastic 3-way elbows
- 4x black plastic cross braces
- Push the short pieces marked A securely into the black braces to form a square. Ensure they sink all the way into the black plastic brace. Then insert the long metal pieces marked B into the 3-way elbow vertically. Repeat this process to complete the frame. See photos for each step. Note: The Mylar enclosure may rip if you don’t fully push the metal structure into the black 3-way elbows as the frame will be too large for the fabric!
- Install the cross braces across the top of the frame.
- Place the frame into the bottom of the Mylar enclosure as on the following page.
- Attach the lower Mylar drip tray by placing it inside the base of the frame. Secure the four velcro corners to the frame.
- Carefully pull the Mylar fabric over the frame.
- Zip the enclosure partially closed. There is a Velcro tongue at the top of the door that can be used to keep the door opened as pictured above. Open the door and attach the Velcro strap to keep the door open.
Now that you have your enclosure assembled it’s time to install the full-spectrum LED light. Watch the video.
- Take the ratchet strap and place it over the top of the white metal frame of the enclosure. You should have two carabiners hanging down on either side of the enclosure.
- Clip the carabiners to the LED light cables.
- Take the barrel jack power cord (male to male) and plug it into the back of the LED light. There are two power ports, make sure to plug the barrel jack into the power port at the back side of the enclosure.
- Take the other end of the barrel jack and thread it out of the fabric clinch hole at the back of the enclosure. Plug this into the black controller where it says LED.
Now it's time to place the mounting chassis on top of the Canopy Mate. Watch the video.
- There is an opening on top of the Canopy Mate. Open the fabric clinches and push the clinches inside the enclosure. These will cinch around your ventilation fan.
- Take the mounting plate and place it on top of the enclosure with the Canopy Mate logo facing towards you. The ventilation fan should be on the bottom of the chassis.
- Gently lower the fan through the opening in the top of the enclosure ensuring the power cord is accesible.
- With the fan fully lowered inside the enclosure, raise the fabric clinch around the fan, and cinch the straps to tighten.
- Plug in the power cord that is attached to your fan to the black controller where it says “VENT”.
Reservoir and Pump
Now fill your black fabric smart pot with soil. We recommend doing this outside of your enclosure. A clean enclosure will improve the health of your plant. Watch the video.
- Take the fabric smart pot and place it on the floor of the enclosure.
- Fill your reservoir with water. Place it to the left of the fabric pot, near to the opening in the enclosure.
- Attach your water hose to the water pump.
- Attach the other end of the hose to the dripper.
- Take the USB from the water pump and thread it through the opening adjacent to the reservoir. Cinch this opening shut.
- Place the water pump inside of the reservoir.
- Stake the dripper near the center of your smart pot.
- Plug the USB, hanging on the outside of your enclosure, into the controller on top of the Canopy Mate where it says “PUMP”.
Now we’re going to cover how to connect your Canopy Mate to your home WiFi network.
- Plug in the grey power supply to your wall power plug.
- Plug the barrel jack from the power supply into the black controller where it says “PWR”.
- Wait a few moments for the control unit to start. Check that the light on your Canopy Mate controller is blue. If it is, you’re able to connect any device (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop) to the Canopy Mate. If the light is green, press and hold the button on top for 5 seconds until the light switches to blue.
- On your chosen device, open your WiFi settings and scan for the CanopyMate_XXXXXX network. This network is broadcast so you can add the Canopy Mate to your home WiFi. Connect to this network using the password on the sticker attached to the side of the controller. Note: Upon connection to this WiFi network you may have to accept a notice saying ‘Network has no internet, do you still want to connect?’. Accept this connection.
- Now that you’ve connected your device to the Canopy Mate network, it’s time to put the Canopy Mate online! 1 2b 2a 4
- While connected to the Canopy Mate network, open a web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc) and navigate to cm.portal.com
- Once the page loads, you’ll see a dropdown that says “Please select SSID”. Choose your WiFi and enter your WiFi password.
- When everything connects your Canopy Mate will reset and you can navigate away from this page.
- To verify that you have connected successfully the light on your Canopy Mate controller will have switched to green.
Canopy Mate App
Now it’s time to get started with the Canopy Mate app: the only place you’ll need to visit to control your Canopy Mate and manage your grows!
- Navigate to app.canopymate.com on your chosen device.
- For the best experience, we recommend using a smartphone and installing the app to your home screen. a) For Android users using Chrome: Either follow the prompt to install to home screen or tap the menu icon in the upper right corner and select ‘Add to Home Screen’ b) For Android users using Firefox: Tap the home icon with the plus inside. This icon should be up top near the navigation bar. Select ‘Add to Home Screen’ c) For iPhone users using Safari: Open the options menu below, select ‘Add to Home Screen’ and press ‘Add’. You should now have the app available on your home screen.
- Although we recommend installing on your smartphone, the Canopy Mate app is accessible and fully functional from any device you wish to use, including your desktop/laptop or tablets.
- Once you’ve opened the app, you’ll be prompted to login or create an account.
- Go ahead and create an account.
- Now you are inside the app and it’s time to add your Canopy Mate.
- Press the ‘Add Canopy Mate’ button. You’ll be prompted to enter the Canopy Mate ID. This ID is found on the sticker on the side of your controller.
- Name your Canopy Mate. Don’t worry, you can always change the name later!
- Press ‘Add’. You should see the Canopy Mate configuration options appear in the app.
Take your time and familiarize yourself with the app features. You can adjust automation settings for the water pump and light as well as turn the ventilation fan on or off. You’ll be able to start a grow, adjust and track your grow dates, take notes and more!
Congratulations! You’ve finished setting up your Canopy Mate. Now you can control and update settings anytime from anywhere. Have questions? Reach out to us.
It’s time to start growing your own. Visit our Facebook forum to share your progress! Happy Growing, The Canopy Mate Team