Cannabis is a beautiful plant because it can be consumed in so many creative ways. Some like to smoke it through an apple, others like to inhale it through a bong, and others prefer to eat it.
Yes, today we're talking edibles. More specifically, brownies.
The Canopy Mate team has put together 2 easy ways to make delicious weed brownies. To simplify your life, we’ve only included simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
In this blog post, you will learn how to make:
- Traditional weed brownies and
- Weed brownies in a mug (for those lazy ones out there!)
However, before you grab all your cooking gear, make sure you don't skip the first two sections of this blog post since they are absolutely pivotal to making edibles that will make you high!
Since we want to assist you through every step of the process, we've divided this recipe into 3 sections in which you’ll learn:
- How to decarboxylate your flower
- How to make cannabutter
- How to make the brownies
Let's Start With Decarboxylation
Decarboxylation happens when weed is placed in the oven at 245° F for 45 min. This process is essential to activate the THC and, if you skip this step, your brownies are not going to have the psychoactive effect that make them fun (and you will have wasted weed!).
Why do you need to decarboxylate weed?
Cannabis buds contain THCA (a non-intoxicating cannabinoid). To receive its intoxicating effects that make us feel high, the THCA needs to be transformed into THC (the molecule that makes us feel euphoric).
The transformation from THCA to THC happens when the flower is heated at a low temperature (through smoke or vaporisation).
Here is How to Decarboxylate Cannabis
- Preheat the oven at 245° F.
- Grab an oven-safe tray and some parchment paper.
- Place your buds on the tray and put in the oven for 30-45 min.
- Every 10 min, flip the buds so that all parts of your flower can be exposed to the heat.
Now that your activated weed is out of the oven, go ahead and grind it. You will use your ground cannabis in the next step - making the cannabutter.
Easiest Way to Make Cannabutter
Cannabutter is probably the most common ingredient used when cooking edibles. It’s super easy, you'll only need:
- 1 cup of decarboxylated ground weed (7-10g)
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of water
- Empty jar
1. Melt the Butter & Add the Ground Weed
Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of butter into a saucer and simmer on low. When the butter starts to melt, add your ground cannabis into the saucer.
2. Simmer on Low
Simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours and stir occasionally. Do not allow the mixture to come to full boil. Ideally, the saucer’s temperature should be above 160° F but should not exceed 200° F.
Once the cannabutter has cooled down, grab a jar and a cheesecloth.
Pour the cannabutter through the cheesecloth into a jar and squeeze gently to let all the butter out.
Place your jar of cannabutter in the fridge. If you notice that water starts to form at the bottom of the jar, you can drain the water out once the butter has solidified.
Now that we’ve prepared the cannabutter, we can proceed to the fun part of this blog post - making cannabis brownies!
Recipe 1 - Traditional Weed Brownies
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cannabutter
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Grab a bowl and sift the flour and cocoa powder to remove any lumps.
- Add salt and baking powder.
- Grab another bowl and mix the cannabutter with white sugar and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and the vanilla extract to the cannabutter bowl and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Mix in the flour and cocoa powder. Beat on low until everything is fully incorporated.
- Grease a metal baking pan.
- Transfer the batter into the baking pan.
- Place in the oven (350° F) for 25-30 min.
- Check whether the brownies are ready with a toothpick.
- Let the brownies cool for 30 min.
Recipe 2- Weed Brownie In A Mug
This recipe is for those who are looking to make weed brownies with no oven and in the shortest amount of time. You will need:
- 1/cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted chocolate
- 3 tablespoons of cannabutter*
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Grab your favourite mug and mix together all of your ingredients.
- Place in a 1200W microwave for 90 seconds.
- Let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Add some whipping cream and...voilà!
*If it's your first time making weed brownies, we recommend going easy on the cannabutter - especially if you're not used to cannabis! Try adding only 1 tablespoon of cannabutter instead of 3.
Keep in mind that you won't notice any difference in your state of consciousness for a while - you might have to wait 30min-1h30 before feeling anything at all.
So, go easy on your brownies, and wait for at least a couple of hours before you go for a second serving!
Believe me, I went for a second brownie before the first one even hit me, and that was definitely....something.
Making Edibles Can Be Expensive - Grow Your Own Weed
Making edibles is not cheap - especially if you're getting weed from a dispensary. Now, if you’re making brownies on a regular basis, that can be hella expensive!
With one Canopy Mate, you could grow 4 plants per year (16oz), but if you have 2 Canopy Mates....well, that's a whole different story.
Why should you waste thousands of dollars in weed each year when you can just buy a grow box controlled by an app and grow weed yourself?
We are convinced that you shouldn't spend a dime on the weed you smoke and that corporate cannabis is unnecessarily expensive.
For USD $596 (or $749CAD), Canopy Mate has created the best weed grow box for beginners who want to grow cannabis all year round.
Check it out here or sign up to our newsletter at the bottom of the page and get $25 off your first purchase.